Last year I wrote about the debut cabaret performance of writer / performer Nick Hedger, Crap I Found in My Room. This year Nick is back with a new show, Playground, opening this Friday at Chapel off Chapel. Sitting in the stalls with our coffees, we talked about the show.
“Playground”, Nick tells me, “is a concert of songs that I’ve written, all of them from cabaret to musicals that I’ve worked on or am working on. The idea of Playground is that we learn and play on a playground when we’re younger…that discovery thing of where I really sit with my sound; you’ll see a very varied style, heavy, rocky-er stuff, and then some more recitative type songs.”
He describes his aim as “little pieces of theatre”, reflecting on his past as a finalist in the Short + Sweet cabaret competition. In addition to Hedger, the show features a cast of new musical theatre talent, who between them have a resume including The Pirates of Penzance, Les Miserables, Mary Poppins, South Pacific and more.
“It’s amazingly rewarding! All these songs are music theatre songs, so they’re all characters; with this, there was a lot of discovering with the cast, workshopping the songs, because they all have so many ideas, and it’s so rewarding when you finally find something that’s just, ‘that’s what we’re looking for! We want that for that character, and that’s what we want here’. Collaboration is far more exciting than working by yourself.”
- Nick Hedger presents Playground, staring himself, with Brent Hill, Kerrie Anne Greenland, Emily Langridge, Erin Kennedy, Andrew Hondromatidis and Ben Nicholson.
- Music / Small Pieces of Theatre
- February 28 – March 2, Friday – Saturday @ 8pm, Sunday @ 6:30pm
- Chapel Off Chapel, 12 Little Chapel Street, Prahran
- $30 Adult, $25 Concession, $23 Group 10+ (+Transaction Fee)
Note: Tickets can be booked here.